What is Soap UI
Soap UI is Free and Open Source tool used for Web services testing. SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol. Soap UI tool which is used to test the web services and Web APIs. Web services are the individual units of business logic in SOA. It is capable to test application based on both representational state transfers (REST) and service-oriented architectures (SOA). Using Soap UI tool, tester can automate both functional tests as well non-functional tests and can execute compliance, regression, security and load tests for Web APIs.
- WSDL file definition understanding.
- Operations provided by the Web Service.
- XML Request message format that sent as SOAP request message.
- XML Response message format received as SOPA response message.
- A simple local tool or test program that could send XML message request and receive request as XML message response.
It is the most used web services API testing tool. SOAP is language written using XML, hence is platform independent.
Soap UI features:
- Mocking the services → With the help of SoapUI, we can easily mock the web services and test them thoroughly. We can use the WSDL file and it will auto generate the services and all the methods it contains. So the hassle to create the services is now automated. It allows SOAP as well as REST services to mock.
- Testing Security → SoapUI allow us to test the security features too. We can test the database by SQL injections to test the database vulnerability. Likewise it allows us to test the stack overflow by bombing the xml files. We can also test the Cross Site Scripting by SoapUI.
- Load Testing → One of the great features of SoapUI is to create the load test which can be seemingly integrate in LoadUI. We can set the SLA and verify it. It also lets you select the built-in load strategies like simple, fixed-Rate etc.
- Support wide variety of Technologies/Protocols → It support a wide variety of protocols as well as technologies to make the life of a tester easier. List comprises like SOAP, REST, Web/HTTP(s), JMS to name a few.
- Automation Integration support → You can bundle your SoapUI test and integrate them with Maven, Hudson, Bamboo, JUnit, Ant etc without any hassle. You can even run your test with any task scheduler.
- Powerful Analytics → Analytics gives us the ability to make the decisions and the real picture of AUT. SoapUI provide us various reports which are comprehensive in terms of the data yet not overwhelming for the user to understand. It also lets you to export the reports in any standard format and also gives us the option to customize them according to our needs.
Every report has some standard metrics which can be grouped as per need basis too.
- Recording → SoapUI allows to record the all the data that is being sent and received between client and server. It even allows you to record the HTTP traffic. You can use the recorded messages to convert them into test cases.
- Great Open Source Support → It allows anyone to develop the SoapUI plugins for their application. Widely used open source softwares like IntelliJ, Net Beans, Eclipse has developed the plugins for SoapUI and your test can be seemingly integrated with them.